Brown Butter and Sage Roasted Cauliflower
A delicious combination of buttery flavor and summertime freshness, this brown butter and sage roasted cauliflower is certain to steal the show. Don’t let its simplicity fool you—though easy to prepare, your guests will think otherwise. Pair it with a glass of our 2021 Viognier and let the compliments roll in.
- Cook time15mins
- Total time35mins
- 2 cauliflower heads ½ lb. butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons sage (more for garnish) 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped Fleur de sel or sea salt, to taste
- Juniper vinegar or lemon juice, to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Bring a pot of water with salt to a boil, adding enough salt so that it tastes like the ocean. Drop in the cauliflower and cook until tender but still firm. Strain through a colander and use an ice bath to chill to stop cooking. (Place the colander into a pot of ice water and remove when the cauliflower is cold.) Set the cauliflower aside until needed. This step can be done one day ahead.
- In a pan or pot, melt the butter and cook gently until golden brown. Remove the butter and any and all brown bits and reserve them in a heatproof glass or metal container. This can be stored up to one week ahead; you will need to melt it to use upon executing the dish.
- To compose the dish, heat the oven to 450°F or broil. Toss the cauliflower with brown butter and sea salt and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil. For best results, the cauliflower should be spread evenly with a space between florets, and the florets should be facing up (as crowding will create steam instead of roasting and browning). Broil in the oven until crispy and golden brown on top.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and toss with the chopped sage, hazelnuts, and more brown butter (if needed). Season with sea salt if needed, and add juniper vinegar or a squeeze of lemon. Serve in a bowl and garnish with whole sage leaves! For garnished sage leaves, fry in butter for more flavor and texture.
- Calories: 100
In-store and Online
With a wide range of flavors and styles, there’s a Wonderful® Pistachios product for every taste bud and occasion.